at Enoteca Italiana, Siena

Friday, July 15, 2011

BBQ a casa

Soave Classico-corked
-->
the corked cork


InAma Vigneto Du Lot Soave Classico
15.07.2011
Oh there’s nothing better than a nice BBQ at home on a hot summer night.
Earlier in the day I was in Foligno, and wanted to pick up a bottle of my new favorite Umbrian white, Collecapretta, Vigna Vecchia at the new to me Enoteca Buonbere, but it was closed…
Vigna Vecchia is from an old vine vineyard of Trebbiano Spoletino grapes, near Spoleto.  It’s a ViniVeri style wine, unfiltered, no oak,  that I find to be absolutely wonderful.  It has body, balance and brilliant gold color, with only 12,8% alcohol making it a nice summer sipper.  So I didn’t get that wine, but will surely write about it in the future when I go to the winery.
Option #2,  a bottle of my 2nd new favorite wine, InAma, Vigneto Du Lot Soave Classico from Verona.  Popped into the Antico Caffè della Piazza, in
Piazza Della Repubblica, I love this place but I can’t stand the staff.  Loredona is very nice and knowledgeable about wine, but I think everyone else there is on pissed off pills.
Anyway paid €25, for the bottle then headed back toward Spello.  Made a brief stop at the supermarket to pick up some fish.  Being Thursday in Italy, the day before Friday, when all good Catholics don’t eat meat, there is a great selection of fish.  I wanted to grill, so I picked up a fresh swordfish steak.
marinated Swordfish

cucumber salad
I decided to marinate the fish in limejuice, olive oil, and chives, salt & pepper, a  concoction I made up myself.  It turned out great, but next time I’m going to add some lime zest too.  Then I made a new recipe from my Cucina magazine, which was a cucumber salad.  It called for fresh tarragon, but I didn’t have any, so I improvised with tarragon mustard that I got when I was in Burgundy.  That was good too, and so easy.
Unfortunately, the food was great and the wine was corked.  I hate that!  I hate it the most when you spend a lot of money for the wine.  I wonder if Mr. Personality at the Antico Caffè would take it back?  Doubt it.
the almost full moon rising




No comments:

Post a Comment